International Council of Organizations for Folklore Festivals and Folk Art [ FR] [ NGO Section Data]
Conseil international des organisations de festivals de folklore et d'arts traditionnels (CIOFF) Consejo Internacional de Organización de Festivales de Folklore y Arte Tradicional Internationale Rat für Organisationen von Folklorefestivals und Volkskunst
Main address: SG: Philippe Beaussant, Festival de Confolens, 3 place Emile Roux, F-16500, Confolens, France, Tel: (33 5) 45 29 07 07, Fax: (33 5) 45 85 37 17, E-mail:
info (at) cioff.org
CIOFF Office at UNESCO: 1 rue Miollis, F-75732 CEDEX 15, Paris, France, Tel: (33 1) 45 68 44 44, Fax: (33 1) 43 06 87 98
CIOFF International Centre, Dissemination and Documentation: Guy Landry, Folklore Canada Intl, CP 9, Station Delorimier, H2H 2N6 QC, Montréal QC, Canada, Tel: (1 514) 524 8552, Fax: (1 514) 524 0269, E-mail:
patrimoine (at) qc.aira.com
Promote international understanding in the field of folk art and folk culture, thus leading to the maintenance of peace and strengthening of friendship between countries; contribute to: respect and appreciation for national cultures and cultural traditions; conservation, promotion and cultivation of folklore and artistic folk activity, customs and traditions; joy and participation in cultivating cultural heritage; improving methods of increasing artistic and organizational quality of folk events; improving international exchange of experience in the field.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
(Consultative Status). *
Organizes about 250 International Folklore Festivals annually, plus international exchanges between folklore groups, conferences, symposia and exhibitions.
Publications Entre Nous - newsletter (2 a year). International Monograph of Folk Dance (1986). Annual Report. Index of folklore periodicals; brochures; bulletins; conference papers - all in English, French, German, Russian, Spanish.
Full - national sections (71); Associate (4); Corresponding. Full members in 74 countries and territories:
• Benin, Côte d'Ivoire, Senegal, South Africa, Swaziland.
• Argentina, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Brazil, Canada, Chile, Cuba, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico
, Uruguay, United States of America, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of). *
• China, Hong Kong/China, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan/China, Thailand, Uzbekistan.
• New Zealand.
• Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Ukraine.
Associate members in 4 countries and territories:
• Costa Rica.
• Nepal, Palestinian territories.
• Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Corresponding members in 12 countries:
• Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Guinea, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Togo, Tunisia.